State Life Director
Greetings and welcome to Respect Life month! Life is one of four categories in the Faith in Action Program. The other three are Family, Faith and Community. Supreme has provided several recommended programs in each of the four categories. The Life recommended programs are:
March for Life
Pregnancy Center Support
Christian Refugee Relief
Mass for People with Special Needs
Novena for Life
March for Life, Ultrasound Program, Pregnancy Center Support and Special Olympics are featured programs and count as two activities. The following are some upcoming Life programs that many Indiana councils are currently doing or have done:
1) 40 Days for Life-the fall campaign began on September 22nd. Have your council pray at the 40 Days for Life site for an hour, two hours or take an overnight shift. (Central Indiana Knights joined to do an overnight prayer vigil on Friday, March 19th, the Feast of St Joseph, at the Indy Planned Parenthood and had over 150 participants through the night. Central Indiana are planning an overnight vigil on Friday, October 1st.) Since 40 days for life began in 2007, 18,816 lives have been saved; 110 abortion centers have been closed and 221 abortion workers have quit. 40 days for Life and in 63 countries and 1,000 cities. And many saves were not recorded plus thousands of hearts changed.
2) Life Chain Sunday-participate in your local or start a local Life Chain which takes place the first Sunday, Respect Life Sunday on October 3rd.
3) A Life goal for the fraternal year is for each council to support a Pregnancy Resource Center. The Women who are facing crisis pregnancies need our help, and supporting/being connected to a resource center in your area would be a difference maker.
4) Ultrasound initiative – in the last few months we have awarded or paid for eight units, and now we have requests from several pregnancy resource centers in need of an ultrasound machine. If each council member could contribute $5, we could raise the monies to meet the demands for the next year… or if each council raises $500 from its members we could meet those requests. Please remember that statistics show that 90% of women in a crisis pregnancy, who see their ultrasound, will keep their baby.
5) Ask your Priest/Chaplain if you can place crosses, (representing aborted babies) on the Church property during Respect Life month or during January around the Roe V Wade anniversary.
6) Offer up your council Rosary monthly or quarterly for Life.
7) Encourage your council members to become sidewalk counselors/be on the front line to help women make the right choice/consider other options instead of the abortion clinic or Planned Parenthood.
10)Invite the local Special Olympics representative to speak at a social night.
11) As a council, attend right to life events/dinners a supporting the organizations who are the front line and lobbying legislators for Life.
12) Host a movie night for the council/parish with movies such as Unplanned, Bella or October Baby. Have pizza, popcorn, cookies and lemonade with a free will offering, with proceeds to Life organizations.
13)Organize Christmas caroling with Knights families, to sign at assisted living or nursing homes.
14)Biking for Babies…in case you didn’t get a chance to support or sponsor our Bikers a couple of weeks ago, it’s not too late…your council should use the ultrasound form located on the state web site and send funds directly to State Treasurer, payable to Indiana Knights of Columbus with memo line Biking for Babies...address is 5558 Bruce Avenue, Portage, IN 46368…be sure to send a copy to our Culture of Life Director, Michael Velasco.
15)Special Olympics…one of our featured programs and our goal is for each council to have an Ambassador (include on form IN-FORM1) and raise at least $2,000 and provide 200 man hours…the Polar Plunge and Tootsie Rolls are both life initiatives that can help each council meet their goal.
Check for complete details on each Faith in Action program and the Faith in Action initiative at https://kofc.org/uns/en/programs/index.html. Keep in mind these are recommended programs, but other Life based programs such as those listed above (some you have developed in your council) also qualify as part of the required four activities for this category.
Also, please begin sending your activities today online at http://www.indianakofc.org/ and click on Forms.
One final comment/suggestion: PRAY and COMMUNICATE…as a leader, begin everything with prayer and communicate often. We have some wonderful initiatives and want to be sure all brother Knights are aware so they/the council can receive the blessings of these programs.
Vivat Jesus and God bless you!