The 2020-2021 fraternal year is in full swing and although, our world is not normal, our councils/brother Knights, continue to step up to serve others and defend life at all stages from conception to natural death.
Faith in Action began just two years ago. The program goal is to strengthen our men and their families in the faith. The Supreme recommended programs in the Faith in Action program, included in the Life category, are designed to bring all brother Knights closer to God and the Church and protecting the sanctity of life from conception to natural death. The result: we can be an example of a leader that other men embrace, and want to be a part of/want to be a member of the Knights of Columbus. We hope to build on the success of the Supreme Recommended programs, and also the many other creative and faith filled programs many of the Indiana councils offer.
Life is one of four categories in the Faith in Action Program. The other three are Family, Faith and Community. Supreme has provided several recommended programs in each of the four categories. The Life recommended programs are:
March for Life
Christian Refugee Relief
Mass for People with Special Needs
Pregnancy Center Support
Novena for Life
March for Life, Ultrasound Program and Special Olympics are featured programs and count as two activities. The following are some examples of some Indiana Life programs for council participation:
Biking for Babies has a goal to raise $17,500 in donations and with Supremes match, a new Ultrasound machine for a Pregnancy Center. Please consider as a council or form and individual, sponsoring a rider or making a donation… https://www.bikingforbabies.com/give/ and click on Indiana Local Ride. (You may sponsor a rider under the comments section.) Ultrasound machines have been proven to save lives!
2) National Day of Remembrance of Aborted Children…Saturday, September 12th…we have several Indiana sites where Abortion Memorials will be held. Please see www.abortionmemorials.com for information and sites. Knights and families are invited to attend these services as we remember the over 63 million babies aborted in the U.S.
3) 40 Days for Life-Next campaign begins on September 23rd. Have your council pray at the 40 Days for Life site for an hour, two hours or take an overnight shift.
4) Life Chain Sunday-participate in your local or start a local Life Chain which takes place the first Sunday in October. (October is respect life month).
5) Ask your Priest/Chaplain if you can place crosses, (representing aborted babies) on the Church property during Respect Life month or during January around the Roe V Wade anniversary.
6) Offer up your council Rosary monthly or quarterly for Life.
7) Encourage your council members to become sidewalk counselors/be on the front line to help women make the right choice/consider other options instead of the abortion clinic or Planned Parenthood.
8) Invite the local Special Olympics representative to speak at a social night.
9) As a council, attend right to life events/dinners a supporting the organizations who are the front line and lobbying legislators for Life.
10) Host a movie night for the council/parish with movies such as Unplanned, Bella or October Baby. Have pizza, popcorn, cookies and lemonade with a free will offering, with proceeds to Life organizations.
11) Organize Christmas caroling with Knights families, to sing at assisted living or nursing homes.
21) Sponsor a Knights “Freezing for a Reason” Polar Plunge team.
Check for complete details on each Faith in Action program and the Faith in Action initiative at https://kofc.org/uns/en/programs/index.html. Keep in mind these are recommended programs, but other Life based programs such as those listed above (some you have developed in your council) also qualify as part of the required four activities for this category.
Also, please begin sending your activities today online at http://www.indianakofc.org/ and click on Forms.
One final comment/suggestion: PRAY and COMMUNICATE…as a leader, begin everything with prayer and communicate often. We have some wonderful initiatives and want to be sure all brother Knights are aware so they/the council can receive the blessings of these programs.
Vivat Jesus and God bless you!
Larry Kunkel, Life Director