State Life Director
As the Easter season continues, we have many Life activities that we as Knights can do to make a difference in protecting and defending God’s greatest gift-Life!
The beauty of the season does not erase the ugliness and horror of abortion. The video below explains the reality of abortion in our country, but please be advised that it is VERY graphic so please use your own discretion before clicking on the instagram link below.
Sometimes we must literally be shocked into action. Please pray and fast - and spread the word as you deem appropriate.
WARNING VERY GRAPHIC:
Please continue to pray for the Supreme Court case, Dobbs v. Jackson, as the decision could overturn Roe v. Wade, which has already seen over 64 million babies aborted. Let’s pray for the end of Roe v Wade and abortion in our country.
What if Roe v Wade is overturned? We would celebrate and thank GOD! And then what’s next? Work would just begin…helping Moms and families in crisis pregnancies would take on even greater importance. One way is to begin supporting, if you haven’t yet, the pregnancy resource centers in your area. Also, more centers may be needed/opened, and our support in starting those is needed. Each council should appoint a center liaison to be sure we take an active role in helping the Moms, their babies. Yes, much work would be needed, but we are the Knights of Columbus…the men of this country that can unite to ensure the support and love is there. Yes, God’s work is ahead of us and I am thankful to be a part of a Catholic Men’s organization who says yes!
Life is one of four categories in the Faith in Action Program. The other three are Family, Faith and Community. Supreme has provided several recommended programs in each of the four categories. The Life recommended programs are:
March for Life
Pregnancy Center Support
Christian Refugee Relief
Mass for People with Special Needs
Novena for Life
March for Life, Ultrasound Program, Pregnancy Center Support and Special Olympics are featured programs and count as two activities. The following are some upcoming Life programs and/or goals that many Indiana councils are currently doing or have done:
- A Life goal for the fraternal year is for each council to support a Pregnancy Resource Center. The Women who are facing crisis pregnancies need our help, and supporting/being connected to a resource center in your area would be a difference maker.
- Silver Rose Program…Indiana will host the Silver Rose from May 1st to May 28th. Please check out Supremes info on the Silver Rose at www.kofc.org/silverose. We currently have 19 councils signed up.
- Ultrasound initiative – in the last few months we have awarded or paid for eight units, and now we have requests from several pregnancy resource centers in need of an ultrasound machine. If each council member could contribute $5, we could raise the monies to meet the demands for the next year… or if each council raises $500 from its members we could meet those requests. Please remember that statistics show that 90% of women in a crisis pregnancy, who see their ultrasound, will keep their baby.
- Offer up your council Rosary monthly or quarterly for Life. And consider a Novena for Life in your council, your parish. Encourage your council members to become sidewalk counselors/be on the front line to help women make the right choice/consider other options instead of the abortion clinic or Planned Parenthood.
- Invite the local Special Olympics representative to speak at a social night.
- As a council, attend right to life events/dinners a supporting the organizations who are the front line and lobbying legislators for Life.
- Host a movie night for the council/parish with movies such as Unplanned, Bella, Roe v. Wade or October Baby. Have pizza, popcorn, cookies and lemonade with a free will offering, with proceeds to Life organizations.
- Organize Christmas caroling with Knights families, to sign at assisted living or nursing homes.
- Special Olympics…one of our featured programs and our goal is for each council to have an Ambassador (include on form IN-FORM1) and raise at least $2,000 and provide 200 man hours…the Polar Plunge and Tootsie Rolls are both life initiatives that can help each council meet their goal.
Check for complete details on each Faith in Action program and the Faith in Action initiative at https://kofc.org/uns/en/programs/index.html. Keep in mind these are recommended programs, but other Life based programs such as those listed above (some you have developed in your council) also qualify as part of the required four activities for this category.
Also, please begin sending your activities today online at http://www.indianakofc.org/ and click on Forms.
One final comment/suggestion: PRAY and COMMUNICATE…as a leader, begin everything with prayer and communicate often. We have some wonderful initiatives and want to be sure all brother Knights are aware so they/the council can receive the blessings of these programs.
Have a happy and blessed Easter season!
Vivat Jesus and God bless you!