Vocations Awareness Week (November 5-11, 2017) is fast approaching. Has your planned for it?
Start planning an activity for Vocations Awareness Week NOW. Every council needs 1 (one) vocation activity. The opportunities are endless to support the religious life. Refer to the Vocations Handbook for ideas. Here is a suggestion - Order this DVD from Supreme, and show it at a vocations dinner or a large gathering. It's appropriate for all individuals.
Item No. 50046 E -- EVERYONE HAS A VOCATION TO LOVE, WHAT’S YOURS --
A single DVD with five vocations films. How are you personally called to live God’s love? What is the vocation he has created for your happiness? This award-winning documentary series explores the enduring witness of Catholic men and women responding to God’s call to love.
- The Vocation to the Laity - Shows how charity, the first principle of the Order, serves as the basis for the lay vocation.
- The Vocation to Marriage - Aimed at young couples and those contemplating marriage, this film can be shown as part of a marriage preparation program or for those who are already married.
- The Vocation to the Priesthood -For men contemplating a call to the priesthood, this film studies the lives and thoughts of priests to inspire young men today.
- The Vocation to Religious Life for Women - Hear the heartfelt stories of women who have answered God’s call and learn what it means to serve the Lord as a religious sister.
- The Vocation to Religious Life for Men - Listen to the stories of men who are following God as religious brothers, offering their lives in service to the Church and Her people.
- Ask your Priest for a Mass for Vocations.
- Show some of the other Vocations DVDs that are available from Supreme at your Catholic schools or youth groups.
- Have a Holy Hour for Vocations.
- Order Prayer Cards for Vocations from Supreme to handout to church parishioners. (No. 1874)
- Check the Supreme website for more ideas.
- Councils are encouraged to hang the Vocations Poster (#2959) in their meeting place and to work with their pastor to place it in the church. The poster tells a story that will appeal to those considering a vocation as well as those seeking to support vocations.
Upon completing your council’s vocation activity, remember to file an activity report but I will also urge you to fill out the form for the Fr. McGivney State Vocation Award which is due before Feb. 28, 2018.
New Program – RACE FOR VOCATIONS
The Knights of Columbus Indiana State Council asks all Councils to participate and support the “RACE FOR VOCATIONS”. The Race For Vocation welcomes people of all ages to run/walk in the Mini Marathon or 5k to promote and pray for vocations. Race Date is May 5, 2018. More information available at http://raceforvocations.org/ Councils are encouraged to help by adding a Race For Vocations donation to your SOS contribution (use IN_SOS Form). Please submit this donation to the IN KofC State Treasurer by December 1, 2017. Please include check with the IN-SOS form marked “Race For Vocations”.
- Involve young men, women, and families(Fraternity); over 300 runners in 2017
- Raise money for S.O.S. (charity)
- Support seminarians (RSVP)
- Promote cooperation between Indiana Dioceses (Unity)
- Make the Knights of Columbus visible at a very large public event; over 30,000 runners in 2017
Below are the dates for the upcoming Race for Vocations training events at Bishop Brute. All events will use the following timeline: Mass at 7:30; Run/Walk at 8:00; and Spiritual Reflection at 9:00.
Monthly training events are scheduled for December 2, 2017; January 13, 2018; February 10, 2018; March 10, 2018; April 7, 2018.
Another Vocation Activity -- Brother David Gorrell of Terre Haute Council #541 is asking for Knight’s support to “Help Friar John Take It to the Road!”
This is your chance to join a vocation activity directed and staffed by the Franciscan Friars at Floyd Knobs Ind. Friar John Bamman OFM, Conv. is the Director of Vocations and wants to take the show on the road in a shrink wrapped car with vocation information displayed for all to see. He will visit parishes all over Indiana and the Midwest. Friar John needs $2500.00 to design and wrap the car and then could use some gas money. All Councils support and pray for vocations year after year. It is time to stand up for this ingenuous and innovative way to advertise the vocational message.
Send your Support to: Friar John Bamman at Mt. St. Francis Center for Spirituality, 101 St Anthony Dr., Mt St. Francis, IN 47147 or David Gorrell, 1009 E. Royse Dr., Terre Haute IN 47802 who will collect them and forward.
Vocations Awareness Days
- Dec. 1, 2017 – Reminder for Financial Secretaries: include the S.O.S. inserts with your billing for 2018.
- Feb. 4, 2018 – World Day for Consecrated Life
- Feb. 28, 2018 – Deadline for Father McGivney State Vocation Award.
- April 22, 2018 – World Day of Prayer for Vocations
- May 5, 2018 – Race For Vocations.
- June 15, 2018 – Deadline to turn in all S.O.S. funds and forms to State Treasurer.
State Vocations Chairman
Indiana Knights of Columbus