On Sept. 29, 2003, I was struck by an I.E.D. in the face and chest while serving in Iraq. I was looking for something to heal my mind, body and soul from the damage that occurred. I had no idea there was a pilgrimage to Lourdes at that point or even what it was. I cannot thank the Knights of Columbus enough for the trip of a lifetime. The trip was life-changing for all of us combat-wounded veterans, some of us affected with deep scars from constant fighting. From what I saw and felt, the pilgrimage touched all of us in a way that changed us for the better. It was like our mother that we haven't seen for a while was helping us learn how to live again — or, at least, to know we are human.” — Ernest L.
Your tax-deductible donation to Cell Phones For Soldiers in honor of someone you love can bring a much-needed phone call to a child from his or her deployed military parent. It can pay a car-repair bill so a veteran can get to work. It can even keep a veteran in his or her home with a rent/mortgage bill payment in the nick of time.
- $10 = 5 hours of talk time which means a deployed service member can talk to his/her kids on Christmas Eve.
- $25 = 12.5 hours of talk time for troops which guarantees a service member to keep up with what's happening at school with his kids or to tell his wife goodnight.
- $50 = one cell phone with one month of service to give a veteran the opportunity to look for a job.
- $100 = new eye glasses for a veteran who is struggling to make ends meet.
- $250 = help with a veteran's car repair bill so he can drive to work and hold down a much-need job in the holiday season.
- $500 = assist with paying the rent or mortgage for a veteran and help avoid eviction during the holidays.
Robbie and Brittany Bergquist
Co-founders of Cell Phones For Soldiers
Donate at www.cellphonesforsoldiers.com
Veterans Affairs Chairman Indiana KofC